We’ve just finished our third module: word-processing skills. Why study this? Well, a translator needs to know how to format the target text to ensure it reflects the source text. They may also need to tidy up a source text layout.
So with this in mind our module leader supplied us with a document in pdf format. We were asked to recreate the file in a Word document. Tidying up the formatting where necessary.
What seemed initially to be an insurmountable task actually proved to be quite enjoyable.
I’ve finally managed to use the ‘tabs’ function in Word, setting the tabs so that text appears at a set place in the document once you press the tab key. Ok so it might not sound all that exciting. And I’ve managed to get this far in life without it.
But I suppose I had a mental block about this function, along with most of the other ‘advanced’ Word tools. And this exercise has exercised it. Been dying to get that into these blog posts for a while.
Next exercise is on CVs and covering letter, the subject of my next post.